Pages

Friday, April 23, 2010

How to dye your petticoat!

So once I saw this I had to have it done! I think it's a great way for adding flair to your wedding day apparel!!! I had originally wanted to dye my crinoline green but since the shade that I want would have been too difficult I decided to go with brown. Brown is the color of the flowers and the sash that will be on my dress so I thought that it would go best. Besides, I have my FABULOUS green shoes and I want them to stick out as much as possible!

This is right after I took it out of the bag. After this I took it into the bathroom and got it wet. I followed the instructions on the Rit bottle. I set my washing machine to high and the hottest level and poured in three bottles of Rit ( I want it to be really dark brown ). I let the water agitate just enough to mix in the dye and then USING RUBBER GLOVES, I pushed the petticoat down into it until it was completely submerged. I turned the washer setting back three times to let it wash in the dye for as long as I thought that it needed and after the third time I let the washer finish like it normally would. As soon as the washer was finished, I put the gloves back on and grabbed the petticoat out of the washer. I then took it back to the shower to rinse it with cold water until it ran clear. (The problem with this is that you need more than one person. My back was killing me while doing this part! Just when you think that you've gotten all of it, color shows back up.) So after I was finished this is what it looked like:

While I had been rinsing the petticoat, I had ran a HOT rinse through the washing machine. I used detergent and non-chlorine bleach. Once that was finished I filled the washer half way with the coldest setting and poured in 1 cup of white vinegar, 1/2 cup salt and color-safe detergent. Then I allowed the washer to filled all the way up and agitate for a couple of minutes. When it was finished I put the petticoat in the washer and allowed it to run the full time. The vinegar helps to set the color so that it doesn't fade and/or bleed. Once it was finished it took me a while to untangle and untwist it, and then I hung it up in the bathroom. This is what it looks like now. I'm not sure if I'm going to try and make it darker yet. But as soon as I have someone coming over I'm going to have them help me put on my dress so that I can get a picture of what it looks like together.

1 comment: